Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Blog Post #12

Secondary Education- English Lesson on Word Choice
1) Please follow the link to The Writing Center "Lesson on Word Choice" read this lesson on Word Choice take notes so that you will have at least one resource for your assignment.
2) Watch the youtube video that can be found at the end of this post, while watching please focus in the emotions of the children, the mother, the old couple, the captain and the people loading the life boats.
3) I will assign you through a Doc provided which perspective you will be writing.
4) Write a Blog Post from the perspective assigned, consider word choice. Write towards the given audience. For example if you are assigned the mother and her kids, write a letter from her addressed to her kids explaining why she decided to lay them down for bed instead of loading the life boats. Or if you are assigned the Captain write a letter to news officials explaining why the ship sank and what precautions you have decided to take.
5) Post this to your blog, enhance your blog post by searching Google images for a photo that relates to the perspective you were assigned!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah! First of all, I love your blog! I reviewed some other posts and pictures, and you have done an amazing job! You are so creative and this seems to have come very naturally to you.

    Second of all, thank you for making me cry! That one scene with the mother tucking the children in and telling them the story rips my heart out every time! I can watch Jack sinking 100 times and get a little sad, but you show me the scene with the mom or the older couple holding each other and it's over! Total water works!

    O.K. Now to the serious part. I think you came up with an extremely creative way to accomplish many things with your students at once.
    1. You have them thinking about vocabulary and ways different words put together can have a serious and effective impact.
    2. You have them engaged by watching the video clip and not just reading a book or worksheet. They can actually see the expressions and experience the emotion of what that person must have been feeling. This is also a great way to connect with a historical event and make it more realistic to students.
    3. As a result of #1 & #2, the students should become better writers. You've given them the tools to use to sharpen their writing skills.
    4. Last, but not least, you are teaching them to blog by posting their assignment to their blog page with a picture.

    I hope you don't mind if I bookmark this idea to use myself someday. This assignment would be exciting for students we would teach, and creating a similar assignment would be a great way to learn to put together a lesson plan for EDM 310 students. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hannah,

    Neat idea. I'm not sure how much it has to do with EDM310, but as a fellow English major, I think it's a great idea for everyone to be aware of word choice and how it affects readers. For some reason though, I can't see the video and that makes me sad. Perhaps it's something wrong on my end of the Internet. These things happen. Anyway, nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very creative! One of my favorite movies of all time! I appreciate the English assignment as well. I am glad that you changed things up and did an assignment that you would do in your own classroom. Although, Dr. Strange wanted everyone to do their own assignment as an example. I would have loved to have read your take on the assignment. Anyways, I know it's a little late but just wanted to give you props on an imaginative, out-of-the-box blog post! I would like to encourage you to keep blogging and to be sure to keep in touch with EDM310. Blogging is great for the classroom, but really lends itself to English education. If you ever get to do this assignment, or one like it, or create your own blog, we would love to hear about it so we can brag on you :)
    Good luck with your journey towards the front of the classroom! Keep up the creativity, insight, and hard work, and you will make a great teacher :)
    Carly

    ReplyDelete