Friday, June 15, 2012

Blog Post #6




Randy Pausch Last Lecture:Achieving Your Childhood dreams
Randy Pausch says, "We cant help the cards were dealt, It's how we play them. Although I've heard this quote multiple times, the context in which he says it, made me realize how easy it is to get caught up in reality and everyday incidents. However, the context he uses with this text refers to his death and his acceptance of it. Being able to accept one's fate allows them to be more accepting of what life deals them. Often times as children we dream and aspire to be what is being idolized at that time in our lives. As a kid I loved animals, was obsessed with dogs, and aspired to be a veterinarian. However, through experience with my own childhood pets my aspirations became reality and I realized it was not what I wanted to do. A big part of life is experience, Paunch says "Experience is what you get when you do not get what you want."
At first glance Pausch's quote maybe a little confusing, however when explicated I realized it could not be more true. Through life's experiences one may realize you can not always get what you want. It is through these times one has an opportunity to show their true colors by their reaction to what is at stake. I have had many aspirations and dreams in which experience has lead to the altering of my dreams. Although my dreams have been altered, it does not mean I no longer have aspirations, my aspirations have just changed. When starting college I was driven by the occupations not by what they entailed but by the money that could be made within these occupations. I quickly realized the occupation I had chosen, I was not fit for. I then changed my major to Secondary Education, I know in my heart I am where I need to be. Money was not the motive when choosing to become a teacher, it was more of a calling in which I hope to share my knowledge with children. As a child I loved to play school, I also realized as a teenager and young woman I have always felt the need to help someone and share my knowledge of experience with them so that they may feel like their not alone in their feelings.
Although teaching was not what I wanted to do originally I have realized this was my childhood dream all along. It was through life's experiences that made me come to this realization. Often times one does not realize their dreams can not become a reality, but by experience and continuous striving one can reach their dream even if it was not what was intended as a child. One point Pausch failed to make was that some people have more advantages than others, it takes hard work to rise above the hand one has been dealt, but it is not impossible! Pausch, was a child of advantage so it was easier for him to achieve his childhood dreams, this should be fuel to the fire for those who are striving to achieve their dreams. Work hard, strive harder and aim for success!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Hannah!!! I truly enjoyed reading your blog post as it sounds exactly like my life! I too became enthralled with dollar amounts within an occupation rather than what my heart really desired. I knew my whole life that I wanted to become a teacher yet, I spent 4 years dedicated to the Speech Pathology program only to drop out SP semester of my last yr. I did that because my mind finally listened to my heart. As far as aspirations I know I am where I'm destined to be and it didn't take watching Randy Pausch's Last Lecture to know that BUT watching his video spoke volumes to me. The first 5 mins of the video was dedicated to the quote "you can't change the cards you were dealt, you can only change the way you play your hand." as you said, he's referring to his fate which was unfortunately death :( But, that quote can be placed on a multitude of things which I'm sure you're aware of. Have you watched any of his other speeches? I would highly recommend Randy Pausch "Inspiring Graduates" It's beautiful. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Hannah,

    Nice reflection on Dr. Pausch's video. Every time I watch it, I cry and realize how lucky I am. He somehow makes me feel ashamed for wasting even one second of my time being sorry for myself over silly problems. However, you still seem to have a problem with the title modifier for the image. It isn't showing up. You need to get that fixed. There were also a lot of spelling and grammatical mistakes within your post. Just be sure to reread what you've written in order to catch those. You can also type your posts in a word processor first and catch some of the smaller mistakes. Typing directly into the Blogger post editor is can be deceiving.

    ReplyDelete